What does Property Maintenance Insurance cover me for?

Property maintenance insurance is essential for anyone in the business of maintaining or repairing buildings. It will protect you against accidental damage to the property caused by you or any employees you have, and against injury caused as a result of your maintenance or repairs. It could cover you against claims of negligence should clients be unhappy with your work. You could choose property maintenance insurance cover for your tools and protect your income should you be unable to work.

Are there certain policies I should have?

Property maintenance cover relevant to your business may include:


  • Employers Liability: You’re legally obliged to buy this insurance up to the value of £5m if you have employees, providing cover for your staff should they injure themselves while working for you.
  • Property Maintenance Public Liability Insurance: This type of cover is likely to be one that’s essential to your business, protecting you as it does against claims made by the public for damaged property, accidental injury or death caused as a result of your business activities.
  • Combined Public and Employers Liability Insurance: You can buy Property Maintenance Employers Liability Insurance jointly with Public Liability giving you combined cover often at a reduced premium.
  • Property Maintenance Professional Indemnity Insurance: Should you or your business be accused of professional negligence, perhaps pertaining to bad advice over the state of repair of a building in your care for example, this insurance will pay for any damages sought as well as expenses and costs related to the claim.
  • Property Maintenance Tradesman Insurance package: This is a bundle of policies collected together to provide essential cover for tradesmen. It typically includes cover for Public and Employers Liability, damage or loss of tools and equipment, personal accident, assault as well as loss of earnings. Buying packaged insurance policies can be more cost-effective than buying them separately.